The fluffiest you may have ever tried
Christmass is coming…..in Greece it is accustomed to decorate houses with the appropriate ornaments, children grab their triangles for the traditional Christmass carol and there is a general excitment in Santa’s village. The battle of eternity has already began….Is kourampies or melomakarona going to win this round?
Following this recipe will result the fluffiest and most aromatik kourampiedes you have ever tried
- Cooking Sheet
- Rolling Pin
- Cooking tray
- 300 grams Sheep butter
- 120 grams Almonds roasted, skin on
- 600 grams All purpose flour
- 2.5 grams baking powder
- 110 grams powdered sugar plus as much needed for topping
- 25 ml brandy
- 50 ml orange juice squeezed out of oranges
- Flower water
- vanilla extract
- Break almond in mediun sized chuncks usind a peslte or a rolling pin and two backing sheets. You can also use a food processor by pulsing so that you don't turn almonds into dust.
- Combine the flour and baking powder using a spoon
- Combine the butter and 110grams of powdered sugar in a mixer. Mix using the beater atachment on high speed for at least 20-25 minutes. What we are looking for is a white and fluffy result
Combine dry and wet ingrdients
- Set the mixer in low speed and add the dry igredients, one large spoonful at a time until it is fully incorporated. Continue mixing for another 5-10 minutes on low speed.
- Add the almonds, vanillla, the brandy and the orange juice. As soon as you add all ingredients you can stop using the mixer.
- Make 30 grams portions. Shape them into thick disks and using your finger, press in the middle to make a small puddle.
- Lay your shaped koyrabiedes in a baking tray laid with baking sheet. Since the kourabiedes expand while baked, leave enough space between them so that they do not stick together.
- Bake in prehated oven at 170°C for 20 minutes. Baked kourabiedes should be pale and slightly soft as soon as you remove them from the oven. Let them cool completely.
- When completly cooled, spray with flower water and let dry completly.
- Place in a large serving tray and sieve lots and lots of powdered sugar.
- You can also use raw almonds that you will roast yourselves in preheated oven at 180°C for 8 to 10 minutes.
- If substituted vanilla powder is used, mix it with the dry ingredients. Vanilla extract can be added Αν χρησιμοποιήσετε βανιλίνη σε σκόνη, τότε θα την ανακατέψετε με τα στερεά υλικά (αλεύρι και baking powder). Το εκχύλισμα βανίλιας μπορεί να προστεθεί μετά που θα χτυπηθούν το βούτυρο και η ζάχαρη. Μπορεί επίσης να χρησιμοποιηθούν και τα σποράκια από έναν λοβό βανίλιας, τα οποία θα προσθέσουμε μέσα στο βούτυρο με τη ζάχαρη αφού χτυπηθούν.